To view virtual tour properly, Flash Player 9.0.28 or later version is needed. Please download the latest version of Flash Player and install it on your computer.


Mandas between Past and Future

Mandas, is an important link between downtown and Trexenta Sarcidano between Campidano and Barbagie.

Its territory, occupied since the nuraghic period has seen a strong Phoenician-Punic and then Roman. Among the remains of these civilizations, as well as a section of road Cagliari-Olbia, lie the ruins of some villages and cemeteries.

Capital of Curatoria of Siurgus since the year one thousand, belonged to the Justice of Cagliari and, later, to that of Arborea. With the feoffment of Sardinia to the Crown of Aragon became a fief of the Carroz first and then Maza de Lizana, two of the most powerful families in Valenza. It was the last of the feudal lords of Valencia, Pedro Ladron Maza, who, December 23, 1614, King Philip III of Spain elevated the country to Duke, the only allowed until the seventeenth century.

Past the family Tellez-Giron was redeemed in March 1843, with the abolition of the feudal system.Should be remembered that between 1807 and 1821 was the headquarters of the province, while from 1828 to 1850 was the capital of one of Isili.

Mandas, always the center of agro-pastoral vocation, was known since ancient times, like the surrounding area, such as "granary of Rome." He has recently seen considerable development of the craft sector with the manufacture of iron, marble and stone in particular the local ("on corasullu"), the production of sweets, the cheese and cuisine.


A few kilometers from the lake Mulargia, the village is the terminus station of the Green Train, which runs along the route Mandas-Arbatax allowing you to admire beautiful and evocative landscapes. The wide front of the station called, where it is being built, a rail park is named after the English writer DH Lawrence, who visited the country in 1921, describing his impressions in his book "Sea and Sardinia". A few meters away are the small green oasis of the Park Acquabona, inside the medieval source and a refreshment bar.

"Mandas is a switching station where the trains stop for a long and pleasant conversation after the arduous climb over the hills .... those old stone walls dividing fields in pale, bleached granite! The grass dark, the sky naked! The horses in the forlorn winter morning !..."

Sea and Sardinia
Author DH Lawrence (1885-1930)